Monday, March 10, 2008

Blah Blah Blah

I'm not entirely certain why I'm bothering to post. I think I'm just having a wee bit of trouble motivating myself to accomplish things. That said, three items on today's list are done, so I'm off to a decent (if slow) start.

Now, the things about which I'm procrastinating are the following:

  • Finish preliminary reading for article.
  • Take out trash.
  • Make outline for article and consider how I'll incorporate the stuff from the original conference paper, figure out what I need to expand or change, etc.
  • Write (i.e., draft, type things in, etc.) for four hours (with breaks as necessary, but with a timer so that I'm sure to actually do the four hours, though at this early stage I can do what I need to do in front of the TV if I want).
  • Sort laundry.
Now, why am I procrastinating about these things?
  • If I finish my reading I'll actually have to begin working. Ewww.
  • I'm lazy.
  • Thinking about reworking a conference paper into a full-blown article is exhausting and nothing ever seems to work as is, which is kind of demoralizing and frustrating.
  • Writing's for losers.
  • I'm lazy.
That said, I do feel that inspiration will hit me around 4 PM or so with the article-related stuff, so rather than beat myself up about not working, I think I'm going to just give myself permission not to do anything related to that until later. As for the other stuff, perhaps I'll do some sort of thing where I watch tv or play around on the computer or something but with a timer, and when the timer goes off I have to do the other things on the list. Ah yes, this seems like a solid plan.

(I might be the most boring blogger in the world when I'm in one of these writing phases. That said, it does help to write about what I need to do, and I hope that watching my "process" might be useful to somebody for something, though god only knows what.)

2 comments:

Feminist Avatar said...

Reading about your 'process' is very reassuring as it reminds me of my own. I now feel less guilty about not working during 'work time'.

Maude said...

let me invoke some beavis and butthead laughter with "writing's for losers."

you kill me.